FDA Alerts Pet Owners and Veterinarians About Potential for Neurologic Adverse Events with Certain Flea and Tick Products
But, I would say that ALL chemical flea and ticks treatments will cause neurologic events, and more. They can also cause liver damage, organ failure and death. The insert says to wear gloves when applying, not to pet the dog until it dries and if you get it on your skin, to wash it off completely and call poison control. Now, I am going to let that sink in for a moment. So, if this is a poison for us, how is it not a poison for our dogs? Something else that people don’t realize until I tell them is that the fleas and ticks still have to bite your dog in order for it to die. The flea and tick treatment is in the blood of your dog. Fleas and ticks are after your dogs blood, the little vampires!
I understand that they are a problem in most areas, mine included. I will admit that I struggle with fleas also. So what can we do to get rid of them without resorting to chemicals. First, is to feed a raw , species appropriate diet. Keeping the immune system strong is the first step. Invest in a good vacuum cleaner and a flea comb. I have used amber collars with good success and flower essences too.
Here is a great article with strategies to help in the battle against the little vampires.